Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Terms of Anti-Endearment

 

A stiff neck, a knot the size of quarter between my shoulder blades, and sore hamstrings.  All gifts from my lovely TT bike.  I call it torture, my coach called it "adaptation".  Regardless of what it's called, I've got less than a week to get used to it / over it, and put out a solid effort for Jack Frost Time Trial.

For some reason I thought the race was one more weekend out, you know the last Sunday in February.  Oh, that's right... February only has 28 days.  Dammit!

This weekend was brutal.  I got an unexpected bonus day off on Friday as a reward for a very stressful release week we had, so I hit the Friday morning ride out of LB.  It was cold and damp and windy, but not raining.  The two hour effort felt like three, and my legs were still dead from Wednesday's PT session were Dave shredded the muscle fibers in my legs.

Saturday had a long group ride on the docket.  We planned on doing 3 hours at tempo / endurance and ended up doing 4 hours with a lot of steady efforts.  Normalized power for the entire ride was just baaarely below my threshold wattage range, so I was really happy but exhausted.

Sunday morning was pouring when we woke up.  I jumped on the TT bike on the trainer to do some intervals and lasted 45 minutes.  Boo.  Later in the day the sun came out in all its glory, so we suited up again and went back out, again on my TT bike.  I lasted about an hour which were broken into four distinct time blocks. I cursed the bike's existance, started planning my post to the team list about having it for sale, stopped in North Plains, and finally had a stretch where I felt strong riding it.

Its now Tuesday and I'm exhausted.  I don't know if I'm fighting something off, or if the Symilin I'm taking is making me feel crappy.  I know the stuff is working.  Food doesn't seem appealing to me even at meal times or when I'm hungry.  I guess that's good in some ways.

No comments: