Friday, July 18, 2008

Fear the Fixie Freak and other random stuff...

 

bikes....

Quick post before we kick off the weekend!  Last night I was seriously humbled by Bigwood on his Fixie climbing Pumpkin Ridge.  Churning his 66inch gear, Bob probably beat me to the top by 45s or so on a windy-as-hell climb.  The flat section of the climb in the middle was horrific due to the wind.

The saving grace to the ride was that I put out more power than my last climb up it, and was only ~30 seconds off my PR. Without the wind and a bit better pacing at the start I might have set another PR for the season.

Was also funny watching Bob spin back down the 6.5 mile descent.  I think his shorts caught fire a few times. :)

The TDF this year has been interesting to say the least.  I'm glad Ricco was shown the door.  I thought the boy needed to grow up and gain some respect for other riders before taken more seriously.  I mean, who the hell gives themselves their own nickname?  I hope the Alps bust the race open and Vander Velde makes a run for yellow.

beer...

Hoping to work some beer magic next week with a co-worker.  If all goes well, we'll be making a Marionberry Ale which should be ready to rip mid to late September. Mmmm beer.  Speaking of beer, Stone released their 12th Anniversary beer.  This year it's a Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout.  I plan on cracking one open tonight to try out. 

My other brewing mentor Todd, reports that the CCX Imperial we kicked off Memorial Day weekend is blurping along nicely in the primary.  If it's anything like the batch he made earlier this year, it should be a nice kick in the head.

bedlam...

Like millions of other sheep, I got an iPhone the week.. weee!  I'm pretty damn impressed with the thing so far.  Pandora.com has a free application which allows you to stream music over Edge/3G/WiFi.  Was pretty cool being on the top of Pumpkin Ridge getting tunes while we waited for the rest of the group.

No comments: